The Minnesota Vikings are being ripped by their so-called die hard fans because of reaching for Christian Ponder. But I believe the Vikings had no other choice but to take a QB. Sure there was Fairley, Quinn and Bowers. But what the Vikings need is a Quarterback. Next year you can improve on defense or even in the 2nd round but the most important position is quarterback. If you look at some of the teams that went deep in the playoffs last year there commanality was they had a great quarterback. Also Rick Spielman hinted in his post draft conference that the Vikings will likely have Ponder learn under a veteran (i.e. Donovan McNabb). I believe with the help of a veteran QB, Ponder can help the Vikings in a couple of years and make all these “fans” look foolish. This is a accumulation of comments left by fans on the Vikings homepage (notice I didn’t write Vikings fans, nope they’re only fans). One person said that they had been a Vikings fan for 52 years but because of this pick they are going to stop. Well that proves they were never a true fan to begin with.
Ultimately this accumulation of comments should be looked upon for comedy. Some of these comments I just scoof at. It seems that fans forget that the Vikings went to the NFC championship game, two years ago, and Rick Spielman was the man who choose Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice. I think the “fans” should give Ponder and Spielman a chance.
- By 00Dave on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI wonderwhat made them avoid Daulton?
- By Dave on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think that pick was for the eagles until they can trade Kolb too them
- By Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIt explains why the Vikings did not trade up for Gabbert.
- By Vikecodin on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAt least take dalton or mallet but we will see what they have up their sleve
- By Mike B on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySomething with Mallet didn’t rub right with the vikings we will see how far he falls
- By used2purplefailure on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWho? Sounds like this is another one of those purple failures.
- By Noah on Apr 28, 2011 | Replythey should’ve drafted a cb or de
- By andy on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIm becoming a lions fan, dumb.
- By brad Thomas on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWorst pick of all time. I was embarrassed when we missed our pick 5-6 years ago. Embarrassed when we got williamson. But this takes the cake. Awful, awful job. I thought Chilly was the worse thing to happen to the Vikes, but now I see it’s the whole front office
- By Chris on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIs this a joke Ponder at 12???????
- By Mike B on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder makes sense if they are looking at McNabb coming for two years.
- By scott on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyreally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By Adekola on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNot sure Leslie and Speilman dropped the ball on this one. Ponder is a reach at #12. Good team player and does fit our scheme so I can understand the pick. Doesn’t help the team in 2011 though.
- By CajunViking on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI do question the pick but I do know the kid is intelligent so here’s hoping his future is bright w/ us. Skol Vikings!!!
- By Paul on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis pick sucks. I guess I have to give up on the vikinns. I have been a fan for 52 years. This is the worst pick ever!! I will now be a Broncos fan. Bye Minnesota!
- By rob on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply????????? Would have been available at 42?????!!!!!!!!!!
- By tsl_tyson on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWe just drafted a career backup with the number 12 overall pick. Great job.
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By Eric on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis is worse than last years pick with Chris Cook at 30, now Ponder that we could get in the 2nd round!… Chris Spielman is next to go!! Get someone proven in like Kolb or Hasselbeck, not some rookie??? Help our O Line, our DT, or CB…. God help us!
- By Kaleb on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAre you kidding me? ANOTHER wasted pick! TERRIBLE
- By K’net on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDisappointed. I hope it works out, but for now, I can’t believe we didn’t go with someone closer to best available.
- By viking fan on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywow really Ponder vikings are you just dumb you take a guy who you could get in the second round or third round if we had one but then again another mistake by the vikings staff there was nick farley or prince what ever his name they really need to get things straighted out up there.
- By pete on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyat least we pick high next year
- By MADONE on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWith so many good players out there I’m shocked with the Ponder pick. He’s a decent QB but really????
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhos our head coach ? CHILDRESS??????????
- By DannySmith on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNASTY !!!
- By chase on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywell looks like we still dont have our qb of the future
- By Terry C on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat happened to Andy Dalton? I thought he was the projected QB going to the vikes? Go figure.
- By Shaz on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI still remember we passing on Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers. We will be watching Blaine Gabbert highlights as well.
- By BIG DUKE 6 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyVIKINGS FAN FOR 42 YRS. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME HE IS NOT GOING TO HELP RIGHT NOW. WHAT ABOUT THE OLD TIME D ERS? WERE THERE NOT SOME D PLAYERS THEY COULD HAVE USED INSTEAD? BUD WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THIS TO THE FANS. WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTTT???????
- By Devib on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis is horrible… Fairley was right there, so was Amukamara, Jordan, and many others that would be starters on our team for years. What happened to what Rick Spielman JUST said “We’re not going to reach for a QB”?
- By Kirk on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat are the vikings thinking with this pick, Mallet and Dalton still on the board and we take Ponder…. Being a lifetime viking fan and how we usually draft this has got to be the biggest disappointment I have ever had with any of our drafts. Even over williamson and his huge contract we gave him. I hope to god that this guy is trade bait, if not our draft needs to be an F- already.
- By Tom on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou guys are getting a really smart and tough QB. I’m a Vikings fan now. This kid is going to be great.
- By Lance on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAbsolutly terrible! F- ! We will have a high pick next year, along with the year after that, and the year after that, and after that, and after that, and after that….ect! Front office has to go!!!!!!!!!
- By Dan Utech on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAnother worthless QB pick!!! Almost impossible to be a fan of the dumbess organization…Dalton, Yates, Kaepernick, Taylor, all better players!!!!
- By Logan N on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyare you kidding me?? ponder is garbage… now the lions get Fairly to join Suh, theyre gonna be picking the vikings o-line apart for years. HORRIBLE pick. F.
- By John on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyUnbelievable! I could have lived with Mallet. At least he had the size and a cannon for an arm. But Ponder? They could have waited until the 4th round and probably gotten him. The only thing that’ll make this pick even dumber is if they try and bring Mcnabb in. Freakin’ morons!! Horrible!
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySo, I see Frazier didn’t waste any time driving the first nail in his coffin. Ponder… a guy with durability issues behind a line that can’t stop anybody. With Top notch OTs and Prince Am…. (not even going to try to spell his name) on the board, and you take a late 2nd rounder with the 12th pick. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised… a sub par defensive coordinator turned head coach is bound to make these kind of decisions. Goodbye, Mr. Rice, and good luck to you whereever you land. I imagine you’ll be looking for a QB that can throw the ball down the field at a speed faster than you can run.
- By Calim on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyOk, so maybe Ponder is going to be a great player. But why would the Vikings pass on players like Prince at the 12th pick when Ponder would quite likely reach the 2nd round ? I believe the Vikings should at least have traded down, as I don’t see many teams trying to draft Ponder in the 1st round…
I was pretty psyched when I saw the players available at 12, but right now, I’m quite skeptical.
- By Justin on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWow… We could have got him or Mallet in the 2nd round.. Why not take Prince, or Bowers or Fairley at 12? Fan nation gave us an F grade….. We will finish last in the North for the next 3 years
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI am changing my name to FIRE FRAZIER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By Jeff A on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThey could have traded down, got a third round pick back, and still gotten Ponder. Dumb move. Now we have to pay pick 12 money to an injury risk.
- By Matthew on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhy in the world did we do this suh and fairley can now blast through our line we know pat is 37 could have drafted fairley and stayed having a great defense
- By Z Kalina on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis isnt as bad as some people think, i mean hes a west coast guy with adrian peterson behind him u cant put a torch on him till you see his play. for godsakes tom brady was a 6th round pick any player could become a bust or a godsend you just have to wait and see
- By Virgil Warren on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis pick was an absolute Jokeeeeeee. I would have Quinn, Fairley or Jordan.
Worst pick in History.
- By Troy Williamson on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIs he gonna be as big of a bust as me?!
- By Robert on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyReally Vikings you had a chance for Dalton and drafted Ponder who’s arm is described as Chad Pennington like. The front office really does have issues.
- By BIG DUKE 6 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTOOOOOO DUMB. ZIGGY GET SOME REAL HELP BECAUSE YOU DON’T HAVE IT IN PLACE NOW.
- By Donny on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNext pick HAS to be a center
- By paul on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyoh no last place for years ponder would have still been there round two or even deeper down i’m depressed
- By Kyya on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou guys don’t know anything. We got a big pickup! Ponder is going to be a great QB.
- By Dana on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhy take Ponder #12 when he would have still been there for your second round pick. STUPID!
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWait..wait…wait…. I just figured it out, and our coaching staff are GENIUSES!!! THANK you Coach Frazier for your foresight!!! With this and our subsequent picks, assuming they are as awful as this one, and losing Ray Edwards and Sydney Rice (Maybe we can even cut Peterson…) we will be assured of being in the running for Andrew Luck next year!!! 0-16, LET’S GO, BABY!!!
- By Aceviking on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI DON’T CARE WHAT YOU ALL SAY… AMAZING SELECTION BY SPIELMAN AND CO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By bill on Apr 28, 2011 | Replythis is a great pick ponder has the best talent out of all the qbs in the draft.remember people doubted favre in atlanta and look what happened to him. give ponder time and he will bring the vikings a superbowl
- By Chris on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAnd to think we could have had a good defensive player that would of helped this year like Nick Fairley, Prince Amukamara, Da’Quan Bowers… wow they really secured the putsch with this one
- By Z Kalina on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyomg he hasnt played a down what if he takes u two three superbowls in the next 5 years? then what are you all going to come back and go he was the smartest thing they have ever done! seriously people think before you freak
- By Tom T. on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyCue the music “Send in the Clowns.” Our front office is incredibly inept. Very embarassing…beyond the pale!
- By Devon on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat a joke! I do like Ponder, but I figured we could get him in the second round. I’m crying on the inside now watching all of these better players come off of the board that we’re missing out on. I thought Chilly was the problem but after last year’s mess of a draft and this BIG reach for a QB, I think Rick Spielman is next to go.
- By Mike B on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think there needs to be some explaination of this pick I agree with QB but there were better QBs on the board. This pick doesn’t make sense unless you are bringing in an older vet to train him up. Lack of arm strength is a big concern too. I have to agree with the rest why pick him in the first round as he would be there in the second. I think the Vikings owe the fan base and explanation of this pick.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI don’t mind the pick nice job vikings staff you got a qb the most glaring need, I wanted mallett but ponder is a good qb, if we were going to wait until 2nd round all the qb’s will be gone. Ponder is from a big school so that helps and is smart. I’m happy the vikings went for the most pressing need, it was a little high but the vikings had no choice they would of been all off the board by second round.
- By Robbie W on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySeriously Im almost ready to support the lions over this nonsense! at least they choose good quarter backs in the draft The only way this guy is gonna work is if we have a strong veteran to show him the light and i have a feeling joe webb doesnt qualify….DUMB PICK!!! Bad Vikings very bad! no treats for you!
- By whoazone on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis was a 2nd rounder.Not a first rounder Should have taken Fairley
- By panzer88 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI THINK THE OWNER & COACH JUST LOST A-LOT OF FANS TODAY ..#.12 OVERALL ..NOT VERY EXCITING.. IM NOT EVEN INTERSTED IN NEXT YEAR
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWoodboat has it right, We need to get the first pick in next years draft. Leslie is close with the Lynx and they got it right. It is the ONLY thing that makes sense. Does Williamson have a brother that we can draft at #2?
- By Chris on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyOn the bright side atleast we will get Andrew Luck next year
- By KansasViking on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHonestly…. this is a bit of a reach, I’ll agree with that. I will say though, that out of all of the quarterbacks, this is the one that I wanted us to take. Only, y’know, in the second round. I do believe Ponder is the best quarterback in the draft to build a franchise around, but he’s not going to be able to come in and make a difference right away. And he shouldn’t even have the opportunity. Quarterbacks need to sit out a year or two before even playing, with very rare exceptions given to the Brady’s and Manning’s of the world. But don’t get to upset over this pick. In two years, this guy will step in and be there for the next 10 to 15. I’d bet my job on it.
- By used2purplefailure on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyOn the bright side, at least he’ll be playing for the L.A. Vikings and not MN. Heres to hoping we get an expansion team!
- By Danny Kezar on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyShould have taken an offensive lineman!!! Leave it to the Vikings!!! Why am I not surprised?
- By Michele Polley on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyGotta admit I was hoping they would get Dalton in the second…boy I sure hope he turns out to be the guy.
- By Z Kalina on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyhow many times do we see first rounders fall quite a bit through there career, it wont make a difference, id take him over cam newton, whose to say this kid wouldnt be taken by any of these teams n he would become a starter in 2 yrs somwhere n torch the league then ud all be crying like you are now for them not taking him, we have 8 more picks plus probbaly a FA pickup later this year chill
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPeople will disagree but I’m happy the vikings got a qb finally I thought they were going to ignore the position, frazier was serious about wanting a qb. Musgrave will make ponder better.
- By whoazone on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyCan’t blame Chilly for this one.
- By George on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIt doesn’t take a genius to know that was a dumb pick at No. 12?!?!? And I as well well like Ponder think he has great potential. What I don’t understand is WHY DON’T WE TRADE BACK???? Every team, minus WAS with many other needs on the board, IS SET ON QB so what is the deal front office. SPEILMAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING
- By Tyler on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou guys can calm down. It’s not the end of the world. Is it a bit of a reach? It sure seems that way. But that doesnt mean he wont be the perfect fit for our organization. I for one hope he is, even if he went earlier than he should have. ESPN said we tried and failed to trade down, so it wasnt everrrything we were looking for
- By Jonny M on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI know we got the QB coach from Atlanta. I hope Ponder is his guy. I am willing to give them and the Vikings a chance to prove this pick wasn’t the drastic over-reach that it looks like. So here is to a great 2011
- By VKing56 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIf they could not pull a trade to get out of that pick they should have taken the best player out there ( Nick.F, Price, any OL, ect,,,,) not a guy who should have been a 3rd round pick. Well lets hope it works out like the last time we took a FSU QB good old Brad Johnson.
- By Derek on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyLife time vikings fan, after last year thought it couldnt get any worse. We get set back 4 years and help the lions form one of the best defensive lines for years to come. Not the way for Leslie to start out his career.
- By animal26 on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyalright Frazier and the Vikings draft team are dumb, stupid, moronic, and oh did I mention stupid? They had Prince Amukamara, Robert Quin, Pouncy, and a few other players. They drafted for need, not best player available and this will now set the Vikings back another year. Thanks for being stupid Vikings!!!!!!!!!
- By Reece on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou have to be kidding me right, at number 12. I am having flash backs to Troy Williamson. Do you think that he is going to learn under McNabb or Kolb? What a waste of a pick, so many better players could have been taken. And you guys want US to build a stadium for YOU, you don’t have my vote.
- By animal26 on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyfew others on the board*
- By Troy on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI am glad that the Vikings addressed what they needed. Sure we could have gotten somebody rated higher etc etc etc… But the Vikings got what they needed. I like Ponder over the other ones out there. Mallet is Ryan Leaf all over again… I LOVE the pick. May be the only one but Go Vikes…
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHey, if Ponder is ALIVE to WATCH the next 3 superbowls, I’ll be amazed, Z. If he truly is Chad Penningtonlike (slow of foot, fragile, with a weak arm….) he is going to be in traction by the trade deadline. Our O-Line SUCKS!!! Did you WATCH Favre dodging guys in the backfield the last two years?!?! Well, here’s hoping Joe Webb can impress the new OC enough to stay on the field. At least he can move and throw the ball down the field. I get the feeling he’ll get his chance to play regardless, because Ponder is going to break.
- By Jason on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyGreat, we’re all set for a 4-12 season…good job front office!!!!
- By madNorseman on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPioneer Press reports Childress found dead in front of television set at local motel. It appears he was laughing hysterically after the Vikings made their pick and choked to death on his beer.
- By Cesar on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyStop with the negativity ppl wanted a QB dalton wasnt good enough mallet didnt have the mobility Ponder is accurate and coming out of the West Coast system its smart
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWe needed a qb what are fans complaining about , it may be a little early to draft ponder but waiting until the second round we would of missed out on majority of the qb’s they went safe here will it pay off who knows but ponder is not bad of a qb if they DEVELOP him right.
- By TAVMAN on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHey all you losers…(if ya all were smart you would be hired by a pro team)
Give em a break. Lets see if Frazier and staff can live up to their credentials.
They picked him for a reason, so lets just shut up and watch how they do!!!!!
- By rich on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWOW- .was looking forward to a good draft and this is what they do to the faithful fans. once again the joke of the draft they should apologize to all fans for this one. its gonna be a long year. big big disappointment from the front office again
- By merle bullard on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWell you have to say he is better than the 2 we have right now. There were more sexy picks out there, but time will tell. Do you really think it would have been better to get an overrated McNabb? We’ve all lived through years of retread QB’s, I think it was a good pick.As for the D-line the younger guys will just have to step up.
- By nateluckist81 on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyi don’t see why they didn’t take someone on defense. they need more help there than they do taking ponder. i find that ponder was more of a waist pick
- By Rob L on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywell everyone has their own amount of rube cred. I’m not giving up on the Vikes, but wow….passing on 2 top defensive line? Watch out for Detroit….”the roar is getting restored’! Not familiar with this qb but he seems to be smart and plays hard.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replythis is da worst pick ever realllyy with the 12th pick they coulda picked him in da second roundd he wasnt even projected better then mallett viking good job in not improving in the off season pat williams retires ray edwards gone couldnt even get sanders atogwe no sidney rice yett step up trade berrian or gerhart and fill some needdss wow we are da new detriott
- By Daniel on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHorrible pick. Should have taken Prince or Jordan. He would have been there in the second round. I am glad I cancelled my Direct TV already.
- By Bearsfan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBruahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa. What a stupid pick, looks like Tavaris is still the best qb on the roster… Go Bears!!!
- By Leon on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyOMG I WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE!!!
- By Rick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYeah we need a Quarterback but come on . I hope this will not come back to bite us. Address the needs seriously come on two years ago in the championship game I this this is not a good pick.Come on Vikes get with the program.
- By Paul on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAre you kidding me! Take Luck before Ponder!!!!!
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIts about time we drafted a qb in the first round, ponder will be a play maker if the frazier lets him develop and play freely. I hope the vikings staff doesn’t just put him on the sidelines and ruin his confidence from not giving him playing time.
- By Robert on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis pick is up there with the Herschel Walker. Is the staff trying to outshine the brilliant minds behind that trade?
- By sam on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis draft is terrible, Ponder at 12…are you kidding me! He’s a second round qb and to let Fairley go to the Lions with the next pick….Suh and Fairley….good luck running on them AP. Clean house on the college scouts and of course Spielman!!! Once again we are the laughing stock of the draft.
- By Nick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Next year we can take Andrew Luck!!!
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDid any of us really think that Spielman would do any different? Do the names Troy WIlliamson and Tavaris Jackson mean anything to you. Couple him with a sub par defensive coordinator turned head coach (face it, he isn’t good…) and we are in for a few more bad years of Vikings football. Enjoy looking up at the rest of the division for years to come, fellow Vikings fans. Pathetic.
- By Minivike on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyCome on guys…lets quit the whining. The front office personnel have those jobs for a reason. If any of us was better we’d be doing the choosing. Just saying. Spielman/Frazier, they are not stupid men. There was a reason for the pick and just because we don’t know it, we can’t just blindly call stupid…This year is already strange just with the lockout, judges ruling, no OTA’s, now OTA’s…and tomorrow more rules come out regarding what the teams and players can do or not do. Its a strange year…lets just ride it out, give the kid the support he is going to need and see what happens. I’d hate to be Ponder, reading any of this..cut the team some slack and lets rally behind this kid. Hes going to need the support (considering TJ is his “mentor” right now). Welcome him, take him in..we can’t change it, whining doesn’t help, so be true Vike fans and get on the bus
- By Derek on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou can say hey what do we know we dont work for pro teams, well all those years with the raiders picks that were terrible (heyward bay), dolphins (ginn), troy williamson, sometimes your average guy knows that it is a reach and a horrible pick for where they are picking at. And the Ponder pick screams terrible for this high.
- By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder=Squander
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyFans are complaining about what? we needed a qb and now they wanted a defensive tackle its funny because fans were rooting for a qb. They would of lost out on ponder if they waited until 2nd round.
- By celticvikingwarrior on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply4 SUPER BOWL LOSES , DENNY “DECISIONS” IN 98 ATL. CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, WALKER TRADE-(WHY CAN’T THIS TEAM EVER MAKE A DECENT TRADE?) DEMETRIOS UNDERWOOD, TROY WILLIAMSON,ET. ETC. “WE DEFINEATELY WON’T REACH FOR A QB”-RICK SPEILMAN YOU ARE A DESPICIBLE LIARLIARLIARLIAR–WHAT A FRICKIN JOKE. THE REST F THE DRAFT IS NOW MOOT, AS THEY WON’T GET MORE THAN ONE PLAYEER TO HELP THIS TEAM. THEY COULD LOSE EVERY GAME THIS YEAR, GET THE #1 PICK NEXT YEAR, AND NOT PICK ANDREW LUCK-I WOULD SAY THIS IS JOKE IF I DIDN’T FEEL LIKE CRYING, IT’S A ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE-I HATE MY BELOVED VIKINGS RIGHT NOW. THIS IS AS BIG A REACH AS I’VE EVER SEEN IN THE DRAFT. THEY COULD NOT TRADE BACK FOR EVEN ONE STINKING EXTRA PICK. AS HUGE A DISGRACE AS I’VE EVER SEEN….I HAVEN’T DRANK IN OVER 25 YEAR’S, BUT….I THINK I WILL HAVE A CRY INSTEAD. THIS WILL EASILY GO DOWN AS THE WORST PICK OF THE 1ST THREE ROUNDS…ETC. ETC. ETC.
- By Johnny on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou really let us fans down with this pick. We’re the oldest team in the league and you picked a 2nd round QB with the 12th pick. Frazier, Spielmen you messed up. You want a QB? McNabb, Kolb, Dalton even. You messed up. Daquan Bowers was still there, Nick Fairley was sitting there as well. Good luck selling this to your fans.
- By brandon bryant on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWASTE OF A PICK
- By Colin on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou guys have to realize that we are just fans. We haven’t been able to talk to any of these guys face to face, so there is NO reason to be making assumptions. I’m putting my trust in Spielman and Frazier because they obviously saw something in Ponder, that no other NFL team had seen, and that’s exciting for me as it should be for all of you out there who are true Vikings fans. Bill Musgrave will be able to groom this guy just like he did so with Matt Ryan down in Atlanta. Yes, you may have wanted some big name guy because you see their name on ESPN all the time instead of Ponder’s. But again, WE don’t see these players face to face. Frazier and Spielman have, put your trust in them Vikings fans.
- By vikings4life on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWOW NICE I CANNOT BELIEVE WE PASSED ON ROBERT QUINN AND PRINCE THIS HURTS SO SMART SOOOOO SMART I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS
- By Robert on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou guys want a Stadium, FIRE Spielman!!
- By jj on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySmart, quick, accurate & a good leader.If he’s all those things, that’s more than we’ve ever had in a young QB.
I think it’s a good idea to give Ponder a chance!
- By Chad V on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMayock had him ranked at 45 and we take him at 12th, boo urns!
- By DuPrece on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDUMB A$$ vikings, im a lions fan now!
- By VKing56 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHey there is one good thing about this pick at least we got the pick in on time. We did’nt need that again, lol. I still feel like i could puke!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By Z Kalina on Apr 28, 2011 | Replygreat pick
- By Conspiracy on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySo, our O-Line is filthy bad, the Williams Wall is out for 4 games, an old DB and one coming back from a second ACL, and now Ponder. I think the vikes are intentionally trying to have a bad season so we won’t pay for a new stadium, so they can be sold and move to LA.
- By Richard H on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think ponder is a kid with good potential, but really, at 12. They probably could have got him in the second round, and have gotten a player with 12 that could help now. I hope the front office knows something we all do not know, but this could be a disastrous pick, and make the team look dumb, again. Skol Vikings
- By The Truth on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAnd with the #1 Overall Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select……Stay tuned.
- By chad on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyZiggy, you got rid of the head coach your 1/2 way there, not clear out the front office. What a bunch of morons who aren’t worth their weight in water. Ever since Randy Moss they’ve tried every year to find that diamond in the rought or tried to catch lightening in a bottle. Since then, many a good player has slipped through our grasps. This QB isn’t going to be anything for the Vikings or anyone else in the NFL. You could have got a clipboard holder like this in the 5th round. Blow me off all you want, but your the a-holes driving a once historic franchise right into the ground.
- By Daniel on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI am fine with this. Good kid, and remember guys, this is musgraves guy. they went through all the QBs and decided on ponder. Don`t worry fellas! this guy will be a great QB. Good pick Vikes!
- By Mikey on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyGive him a chance, obviously they see something in Ponder. I trust my Vikes. Although i do agree that they probably could have got him in the second round and picked up Nick Fairley 12th overall. I was definitely not expecting Ponder, it came out of nowhere but he is a good quarterback. You never know, he could be BIG. Pick up your heads Viking fans!
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAll of you will jump back on the bandwagon when ponder lights up this team.
- By Mike B on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply@Tavman comeon there is valid concerns with this pick the team needs to explain. we needed an outstanding draft this year and first pick is a mediocre rated QB which we could possibly pick at 2nd round. don’t be calling us losers we have been bleeding purple for 4 decades and we want a super bowl
- By Mikilos on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat are you people talking about Mallett for? He is the worst QB prospect in this draft. He is the next Ryan Leaf and I agree Ponder was a reach but he has the best intangibles (which is a must for a NFL QB) and he has very good accuracy.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’d take ponder over locker anyway.
- By Eric on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySome O line help? D Help? CB? Terrible pick, but I am not suprised. Lions, Chicago, and Green Bay will dominate us!… Ponder this year, Andrew Luck next!
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyi guess JOE WEBB is our qb for the da rest of da season cuz therre no way pounder is better can be bring back the lockout please
- By Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder is a development project. If they didn’t think Gabbert was the man then they should have taken A CB, NOT Ponder.What a reach.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDon’t come applauding when ponder starts playing well.
- By Puder on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyi would rather have mallett, dalton or kaepernick b4 ponder…nice pick idiots
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyA cornerback for what winfield and griffin are already penciled starters what is prince going to do just show up on 3rd downs? when we already have cook also.
- By Natureboy68 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI do not know about this pick. It is only good if they plan on getting another qb in free agency. If not there were better players they could have got like fairley or amukamara or even julio jones.
- By Savage on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyCalm down!!!!!! There is a ton of stuff in the works behind the curtain.
We are all good vikings fans! HANG IN THERE and watch.
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply@Minivike and your ilk… some of us like to use the things sitting on our shoulders for something other than painting it purple and putting a pair of cheap plastic horns on. If being a “true vikes fan” means being a sycophantic ostrich, count me out I’m not advocating burning a bag of dog droppings on the kids porch, and we’ll all be pulling for the kid to succeed, but come on. You can’t REALLY think our team is going to be able to keep him healthy, right? WE HAVE NO O-LINE!!! Ask David Carr, a better propect than Ponder is, how it tastes to have his head rammed up his own arse 10 times a game, every game. How successful a career did Carr have?
- By Viking 4 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think we should give this guy and the coaching staff a chance.
Fire Frazier?Really? give the man a chance.
- By jobe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPATHETIC!!!!!!! Way to waste the #12 pick speilman. What were you thinking passing on a de dt and cb. Maybe you can draft Andrew Luck next year when we have the # 1 Draft Pick.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhy would we take a cb when winfield and griffin are starters already the rookie would of not even played I bet.
- By Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyEven if he turns out to be a great pro quarterback, why not trade down, still be able to draft him,, and acquire additional draft choices or???? I cannot believe they would reach this high to draft a second round pick in the first round!!!!!!!!!!!!
- By Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAdd Ponder to this list:NFL Draft History: Top 25 QB Busts of All Time
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYeah lets lose all of our games to get luck instead of getting ponder.
- By LastPlaceVikings on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAre you planning on taking Luck with the first overall pick next year?
- By Wags on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYes, Ponder is a huge reach at #12, but don’t discount the guy just yet. Most big name QB’s in the draft end up being busts anyway. Sometimes there are diamonds in the rough, and this may be one. Besides, this guy won’t be starting this year anyway…he will be playing behind a veteran free agent, or he will be traded for a veteran free agent. Relax….let’s see how it all plays out.
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat a buzz kill.I noticed that all of the comments that are positive are from out of state.
After Ponder was anounced I could hear a loud scream of laughter coming from the state to the east.
- By vikings4life on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyponder is good but dalton is better and we could of gotten them in the second round its not about who we picked its about who we passed on PrINCE and Quinn
- By purplehorn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat will you think if Mallet is still there at 43? The Vikings must have a QB. We have lots of needs, but we must have a future QB so I think Ponder is not a bad pick. He wouldn’t have made it to 43. Mallet might.
- By fran on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThe theory of Dave, this pick is to take kolb later, is posible
- By Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThat’s going to happen very easily this season.
6 wins at best.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m not saying ponder is worth a 12th pick but they were not going to get him in the 2nd round and plus teams probably broke off negotiations about trading with the vikes.
- By FSU and Viking fan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou Viking fans talking bad about Ponder have no freaking idea what you are talking about. Yes I am an FSU fan as well as a Viking. But some of these comments make me sick. It’s obvious some of yall know nothing about football. It’s quite pathetic.
- By DontPanic on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDon’t panic. He’s smart and accurate. Also, we tried trading down, no takers. That’s why we took all our time. We thought that we had a deal, but the other team backed out. Lions were also trying to trade down.
- By Jason K on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI can’t believe the number of people ready to jump ship on this guy.
- By DCfromSTP on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHmm.. I like the Ponder pick. He has great footwork, Great Football IQ. Now if the team gets the next best CB, or WR in the 2nd round I’ll be happy.
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBTW, not many of us NEGATIVE fans, of which I am one, are saying that the kid sucks…. he just isn’t worth the 12th pick. We could have addressed our other glaring needs at 12, and picked him (or some other player destined to be a smear inthe backfield) in the 2nd round.
- By Purple pride man on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE WHY MUST YOU TORTURE US. MALLETT WAS RIGHT THERE!!!! MALLETT WILL BE BETTER THEN PONDER EVER BE. GREAT JOB FOR DRAFTING A CAREER BACKUP AT 12. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET MALLETT IN THE SECOND ROUND. I wonder sometimes why I’m a Vikings fan
- By Daniel Grasso on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder is a stud!!! Extremely smart, makes good decisions. Very accurate, almost 70% completion rate in his junior year before he was injured. I have just become a Vikings fan!
- By fran on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDave, were are you?
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m sure the vikings would of took gabbert, locker if he was there, they desperately needed a qb and it shows you this coaching staff is listening to the fans wanting a qb thanks coaching staff we need a qb hope ponder works out.
- By FloridaFan on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyponder may have been a reach at 12 but that’s where the vikes had to pick. plus, who’s to say it’s a reach? if they got the player they wanted , then he’s not a reach. they’ve watched film of him and obviously liked what they saw. there’s no way of knowing right now what kind of a qb any of these guys are going to be.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywe dont deserve a monday night game cuz pounder will succk i cant wait for the draft grade report when we get a F adrian peterson im sorryy dat your going to have 8 man in the box all the timee cuz pounder was da worst pick ever to go in history cuz everyone knos hesuckss
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m not putting my eggs all in one basket but it shows you atleast they know this team needs a qb and addressed it sometimes risk will pay off sometimes it doesn’t but qb was a need for this team.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replydefense wins championships anyways not offensee
- By merle bullard on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI haven’t heard so much whining since the packers were losing!
- By Noah on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyALL THE VIKINGS FANS OUT THERE YOU REALLY CANT LET DOWN ON YOUR TEAM I’VE HEARD POSTS THAT YOU’RE GONNA BE A BRONCOS OR RAMS FANS ETC. BUT REALL YOU GUY [GALS] STICK WITH YOUR TEAM FOR ALL WE KNOW PONDER COULD BE A FUTURE TOM BRADY [DRAFTED IN 7TH ROUND] AND THE FANS FOR THE VIKINGS ARE A REALLY BIG FACTOR!!!!!!!!!!! SO STICK WITH YOUR TEAM AND LET THEM DO THEIR OWN WORK=WINING A SUPERBOWL
- By TOM on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThis is I believe a great pick! all you idiots that are bashing the kid, I got a stat that is what a great QB we havent had in decades a smart QB red zone stats career 25 touchdowns 0 interceptians thats how you win in the NFL
- By FAIL on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyEpic. Epic FAIL. Really though, what else should we have expected from this failed and doomed franchise.
Not quite as bad as the curse of the Cubbies, but close…
At least we have the Twins, oh wait..
the T-wolves, never..
Wild, nopeLoserville USA folks
- By Tampavikingfan on Apr 28, 2011 | Replycelticvikingwarrior , You must be the worst fan in Viking History. A true fan would look at the great picks we have made. But you have not done your homework. Ponder is a GREAT QB. He will be a great QB for the Vikes for years. You where a big fan of the Couches and Russells and the other QB’s that went #1 RIGHT? How about the guy that went #199 he was never talked about but now he has wow 3 super bowls….Tom Brady. Don’t forget a great QB is made every year in the NFL not in the media.
- By terry on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyive been with this team since i was 12yrs old and im fifty know all wanted was one championship before i die that wont happen now after that pick
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBTW, I am quite happy that Goodell didn’t say MALLET instead of PONDER. Ponder may be a good addition to the team, but not better than Prince. Or a top OT (pick a name). Stanzi would’ve been ok. Kaepernik even. So tired of being disappointed on draft day…..
- By Skol_Vikes on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMan there is some serious hate on here tonight. First of all…. Mallet’s a head case. He’s had so many problems, I think he’s destined for Oakland. Yes Oakland.
Second of all, you all wanted your QB in a weak QB draft. Well, here he is. An accurate thrower who can limit turnovers, and we still have wild cat QB Webb.
Thirdly, I think our D-line is fine. I just want to see more playing time for Evans and Kennedy and such, because quite frankly, they’ve earned it. I would be more upset if we picked ANOTHER CB.
3.a Give Chris Cook a chance to get healthy this season…. sheesh.
4. I know Ponder’s a reach, but at least its not Tavaris Jackson style reach. By our second round pick, the talent would be gone.
- By Daryl on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m surprised they didn’t pick Brett Favre, QB from Southern Miss.
- By lilbill1978 on Apr 28, 2011 | Replygoing back to cali,see ya vikes,i use to like ya.what a dang joke
- By Savage on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBy Joe on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAdd Ponder to this list:
NFL Draft History: Top 25 QB Busts of All Time
Really Man? How about the kid gets a chance under center before he hits
that list. I hope you don’t give up on yourself in your life that quick.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAll of you can jump off the team I’m watching this team and don’t come back later applauding ponder.
- By Viking in MD on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder is an accurate pocket passer that played with more talent than Lockler. He’s better than lockler right now…Ponder has a very accurate arm and can stand in the pocket. Lockler is a scrambler…I must say that I like Mallat, but not at 12. Dalton is good, but was hyped to the public status like newton and gabbert.
In closing GABBERT-BIG BUST—-CAM NEWTON =VINCE YOUNG—LOCKLER DOES NOT FIT WITH VIKES (WE HAVE GOOD SKILL PLAYERS)
DALTON WILL BE GOOD TOO
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyhow often do u get a steal of a qb yea lets face it we are done for a couple years brett farve plz come back now i forgive u
- By jack on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywhat are all of you talking about? obvoiusly not a sing one of you have ever watched ponder work on saturdays he is amazing and he will be a great addition to tis wonderful team.
- By squalls on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyhorrible pick they should have taken ryan mallet i watched mallet for two years and he improves all the time get the outside junk worked out and he would have dpne great things
Well if this QB doesnt work out tlyer wilson from Arkansas will be a good pick for 2013
- By Nicholas on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI look forward to seeing what Bill Musgrave, Frazier, and the rest groom him into. He could very well be a great QB.It took some guts for them to take this pick….ALL kinds of criticism already…lol.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAll of you can switch teams I’m watching this team before I judge ponder I would have to see him play first not react from thin air and analyst.
- By Erik the Red on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAll of you people hating on this kid need to shut up and wait and see what happens. For all we know he could be terrible or be a hall of famer, you just don’t know. So give him a break, and see how he does first before you start criticising him.
- By terrible pick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNot a good pick. There were three future defensive pro-bowlers right there in amukamara, fairley, and even bowers, and every one of those picks would’ve been very smart and they would have fit a need. But of course we take the dumb way and draft a quarterback just for the sake of drafting a quarterback. With SO MANY good players right there for us to take, we make a terrible decision. I would’ve been happy drafting Ponder, but in the 2nd round. TERRIBLE PICK SPIELMAN
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyppl really think dat hes going to be tom bradyy hahah joe webb all da wayy
- By Woodboat on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyStop with the Tom Brady talk. Anyone have the ratio of the number of success stories like Bradys as compared to the normal outcome of such picks is? What, about 47,891 to 1? Yeah, it CAN happen, and it did. Once. He plays for the Patriots, we can all watch him kick our arses for years to come.
- By FAIL on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI cant wait to listen to 1130AM Da FAN tomorrow morning.
- By Shay on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWe could have gotten Amukamara(however its spelled) and Ponder in the second…this is horrible.
- By his cousin on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyguys keep hating on him cuz idk if you knew this but he was always told he wasnt good enough yet he accomplished all acc the vikings have AP and good recievers give him time and if you guys are fans then cheer for a different team
- By Weslet on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHe was MVP of the Senior Bowl, and He beat Florida in his last Full regular Season Game. Not Bad. We probably could have got him later by trading down, but if noone would take the trade you take him when you can. Considering his opponents in College he is an excellent pick.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI wanted mallett but they did see something in ponder to draft him there.
- By Shay on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder, Webb, and Bomar…. we are going to be the new Cardinals. Oh nice, Giants just got Prince….
- By Fred Jones on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI love all the people saying that they are no longer fans because of this pick. If that’s how you really feel, then see ya later….you were never a true fan. The draft is what it is….
- By Rick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI hope now they will go and pick the best wide receiver in the draft. I know they need a corner really bad and more help on defense. The rest of this draft is huge for the Vikings make bad choices and next year Vikings will be picking number one overall. Come on Ziggy get your draft representatives on the ball.
- By QMJ on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHey it could have been worst. I do wish we wuld have got Dalton or Mallet and wuld hve loved to have cameron heyward but hey he could be the next great qb.Good luck to ponder though. We could have stuck with Joe webb he is good like the nxt micheal vick.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywe still have tomorrow picks also don’t forget
- By Tony on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyLighten up guys.
We all know Dmac will be here for the next 2 years.
This is the perfect choice to groom in to a great QB.
They didn’t pick a druggie , a diva or a headcase. They took a guy with brains which is the most important thing in a QB.So they took him at 12 so what. Hes our future. He will develop and will the new stadium opens HE WILL be under center.
- By FAIL on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTo: his cousin
Too bad the vikings aint going to be able to run ap with the o-line and now dare I must say, Detroits D front, and Chi Town, how is he going to get the ball to the reciev?
Terrible town, terrible team, terrible fans
- By Jared on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMike Pouncy could have been an immediate need and would have helped our horrible line. We need a C, LT, RG and we take a long shot instead. QB will not matter if you don’t fix the O-Line!
- By MadMac on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyRidiculous! Seriously! The Wilfs are clearly trying to move this team to LA and this pick might secure that deal. Just a joke!
- By TCheezy on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTHE WORST PICK EVER
- By JIm M on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTalk about reaching. We could have taken a cb(not many good ones around) that was rated either 1 or 2, gone into the second round and still picked up a good d-line or o-line guy(a lot of these guys around). Now we have TJ, Rhett B, a wide receiver by the name of Joe Webb for qb’s. Now we’ve added a 4th guy that was rated about 47th in the draft. This is just another embarrassment. Next year all kinds of qbs. I waited for weeks to see us get some help. We are no better off now than when we started.
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThe way it stand right now this draft sets us back 10 years.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI am going to be be upset if the vikings just let him hold the clipboard and waste his talent not letting him play.
- By Canadian Vikes fan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySome of you people are a joke. I didn’t realize you could all see the future and already seem to know he’ll be bad. LOL you people know nothing clearly, if theres one way to groom a Quarterback into a star its to have zero confidence in him and throw him under the bus when he’s been on the team for an hour. Vikings fans make me sick sometimes.
- By Eric on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat are we thinking? He won’t be ready week 1, by the way we could have got him 30 picks later. We have no chance vs the Lions, Bears, and Packers. We will be in the running for Andrew Luck next year, way to go Vikes. Use your heads!
- By Great Pick! on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBest pick ever! No questions asked! Hes better than you think your just mad you havent heard of his name much!
- By animal26 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThe Vikings needed a Corner, because Cook is just awful and having a true shut down corner, who could come in right away an produce is what makes for a first round pick. A 2nd round pick is for someone who is a developmental project. Great job for failing once again vikings. I cant believe I’m saying this, but maybe Childress wasn’t the problem. Maybe the true problem was actually Rick S. Vikings first round draft pick grade= D-
- By jed f on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBRUTAL. Savvy teams seem to never let this happen. This is an unbelievable reach. Not durable, weak arm… wait exact Chad Pennington clone. What a bunch of amateurs in our front office.
- By Steven on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHe is smart, good short passing game, can run a little…think Fran Tarkenton.We will be OK as long as we continue to build a team around him.
- By Hogs on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI hope Ponder reads this and shoves it right up all these whining fans a$$eS, I am embarrassed to be a Vikings fan right now. Get behind this guy, he will be solid. Reminds me of Eagles fans booing McNabb at the draft because they wanted Ricky Williams. How did that work out for Philly?
- By AL on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyLet’s just hope there is no season this year, so we can go back to the draft next year and try again
- By Pel40 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIts okay if you don’t like this pick guys…but for everyone saying we could have picked up Ponder in the 2nd round or later….you guys obviously haven’t been paying attention this week, nor to tonight’s draft. Washington LOVED Ponder and thought they could trade the 10 pick to someone who wanted Gabbert and then pick Ponder up @16. If the front office liked Ponder much better than Dalton (and its obvious they did) then they had to take him at 12…they knew he wouldn’t fall past Washington and were given a gift when Washington traded down.
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIts funny how fans were screaming qb now they want another position this team needs a qb more than any position.
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyFinally we can get back at LA for taking the Lakers.We will give them the Vikings with Ponder at QB.
- By Dumbtay Fumblepepper on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMayock compared him to Hasselbeck… must have meant the current injury prone Hasselbeck.
- By MN born & raised on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIm from the great state of Minnesota,and have been a fan of the North Stars,Twins,Gophers,and Vikings all my life.I am only 29 years old,but i have come to realize that I will never see the Minnesota Vikings win a superbowl in my lifetime…Top quality picks on the board,and what does the Vikings do?Pick a 2nd/3rd tier QB!We all know FSU is known for turning out hall of fame QB’s (laugh),but then again it seems like Minnesota is known for picking horrible in the draft (except for A Peterson of course – which im sure they will soon get rid of for probably a 4th round pick – maybe 5th round)…W T F ???????????
- By purplerainman on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI guess this means Webb is the starter. At’a boy go get ‘em Joey!
- By ripteflon on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyfire frazier and singletary picking this faig at #12 its alex smith all over
- By Fred Owens on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyRick Spieiman has got to be crazy! This is the worst pick of all. We all thought Childress was the problem, now we know who was the problem; Spieiman. This pick has made the Vikings the dope of the draft. Coach Frazier should be ashame of himsellf. Frazier will be fired with this pick because this indicate he is not ready to be a head coach.
- By jeff on Apr 28, 2011 | Replythe stupidest pick in the draft. What a joke, we could of gotten him in the 2nd round, why not pick fairly, amucknamara or an offensive lineman, wtf. Here we go again we will be picking in the top ten again next year. Very disappointing. Makes me sick.
- By Lief Erickson on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPeople, calm down!!! I hope to God Ponder doesn’t see this comment board. It will scare the S__t out of him. Let things unfold and let the chips land where they may. For one thing, give the guy a chance, he just may be what the team needs. Yes, the O line needs work, but we habitually have not had a franchise quarterback since Culpepper. Only time will tell as ponder is extremely intelligent and has many intangibles which cannot be coached. Go Vikes!!!
- By gpa on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThey got the guy they wanted!! Smart, accurate, tough, west coast guy. I’m pretty sure Brady, Manning, and Brees are all VERY smart, and accurate!!
Skins traded down hoping he would still be there, HE’S NOT!!!!!!
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAll of you can switch teams and quit crying.
- By fran on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywhait! pounder the future or maybe is a move to take kolb
- By Beche on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder is a good pick. But I feel sorry for him. As I am reading the posts its obvious viking fans are not very smart or football wise. And it sounds like tghe team sucks!
- By Daniel Grasso on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyJeff You’re an idiot! Ponder is amazing. Watched him for 4 years. he’ll be great!
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywe are officialy one of the worst team in da league sorry jared allen percy harvin kevin williams and adrian peterson for not having a chance to make the playoffs cuz of this stupid pick defense wins gamee not a scrubby qb dat is only good in college not in the NFL
- By Nick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder is an excellent talent and fit for the vikings. It will be exciting to watch him grow under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave who was Matt Ryans coach in Atlanta. He would have most likely been gone by the second round. Bravo to the Vikes for getting their guy.
- By Jasonh on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhy draft a QB when there is no left tackle to block for him. With Mckinney still there hopefully this kid can run to his right.
- By Guy on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWow- this board has no clue. Clearly you have not seen this kid play when he is not injured, like as MVP of the Senior Bowl You guys should save this one because you will have to eat it at some point. Take your meds and get your old ass to bed.
- By Sean Coyne on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyGreat pick Vikes!!
- By Alex on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWow you guys are dumb, this kid is a great guy for our system and will be good for us period. Let him sit a yr and learn everything and he will be good.Quit trying to act like know it alls and shut it
- By Dennis Walker on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTerrible pick could have got a decent QB in round 2 because they need Kolb or McNabb for a year or two. I cant believe they passed on Prince, Fairly or Jordan. Really sell this team and save us from having to watch this team with terrible management. I wont buy tickets and i surely wont support a stadium.
- By his cousin on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyTo FAIL:
he has as good armstrength as a starter in the nfl ill admit hes no stafford or mallet but the oline has some pro bowlers on it what would be smart would be to get mcnabb then let ponder learn and groom into a starter. be a true fan and have faith
- By Dumbitrious Misunderstood on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySidney Rice just decided to sign elsewhere. Aaaahhhhhhh….. rebuilding.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyi would feel better if bowers fell to us second round
- By Great Pick! on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIts going to be so funny when everyone is praising him when he does great this everyone tearing him down now if you ever say it was a good decision you should be shot in the head. End of you! Stupid naysayers take what ya got and make the most of it.
- By Shawna on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWell we can say first pick next year if we have a season this year.
- By viiikes on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyprobably need to cool the jets a little bit.Check it,
Ponder is ready, Gabbert’s not quite for every down/situation.
- By purplerainman on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWatching this on ESPN. It was hilarious watching Gruden, Kiper and Berman’s reaction. Priceless. They looked like they smelt the worst f@rt they’ve ever smelt when they heard the Vikes pick. LMFAO….Ponder?
- By Frederick Jones on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWHAT YOU ARE GETTING IS A MATURE, SMART qb WHO IS GOOD AT READING DEFENSES.PONDER MAY ALSO HAVE A HUGE “UPSIDE” BECAUSE HE WAS INJURED IN 2009 AND HAD TO REHAB. HIS THROWING ARM BEFORE THE 2010 SEASON.
PONDER MAY BE ALOT BETTER THAN HE SHOWED IN 2010.
IT MIGHT JUST BE A GREAT PICK. REGARDLESS HE IS NOW A VIKING.
- By Vernon on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIF Ponder produces this year.. and this year meaning NOW.. then this pick is justicified! BUT seriously Vikings front office fails to produce quality for the #12pick!! Ponder was NOT a rated top 20 player! wasnt even a top 5 in QB.. With this list of players available that ALOT of teams would love… N. Fairley, P. Amukamara, R. Quinn, even Da ‘quan Bowers!! HOW Did the front office not get a trade done to move down to 19-22 where picking PONDER and getting a 3rd rounder would not be considered a sh8t bust draft move!!… Just disappointed to see lack of reason.. If Ponder produces I’ll eat my words!.. I perferred Ryan Mallet or Andy Dalton over Chris Ponder… :*( If this draft is as bad as 2005 time for Front office heads to roll!!! Wink Hint Wink to you Mr Ziggy Wolfe. Only smart GMs + Front offices lead teams to Super Bowls.. Look across our MN/Wis boarder to see a prime example!.. GOOD luck Ponder! Go Vikings!
- By RMJ on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyHORRIBLE PICK. GET MALLET IN SECOND STILL. MAN VIKINGS MESSED THIS UP. ARG. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- By Anthony on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyman out of all that talent that was still left on the board they draft this guy come on now minnesota i really think spielman has to go our draft picks besides the obvious ones that my 2 year old son could have drafted peterson and harvin have all stunk and now this year they still have to go get a veteran qb so lets waist a pick on a guy that would be there in the 2nd round and now with fairley on the lions AP is gonna get killed and so is our qb with the sorry o-line we got man we go from super bowl favorites to probably the 4th team in our division what a joke!!!!!!!
- By AZ Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI really thought the Vikings organization was smarter than that. You have to be kinding me. Please tell me you have a plan because right now you look like a bunch of fools. I am beyond disappointed. Forget buying to tickets to see the vikes this year.
- By Great Pick! on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyDefense does not win games, offense wins the games defense gives the offense the oppurtunity to win the game. Its up to the offense whether or not they make the most of the chance.!.
- By Pel40 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBy the way, its obvious most of the people on here get their information from that idiot Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock. Those two are proving to have NO CLUE. All week long there were rumors that Ponder was moving UP even higher in the 1st round. The people who actually KNOW things have known for a few weeks that Ponder wasn’t going to drop lower than #34 (Buffalo wanted him in the top of the 2nd).I think if Washington had taken Gabbert, we would’ve taken Fairley and then traded back into the 1st round to take Ponder. But with Washington sitting at 16, we knew we had to take our man at 12, and its clear that Ponder was judged to be a much better option than Mallet and Dalton. Just because ESPN didn’t think so, doesn’t mean they were right.
- By jimthebassman on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI was vry surprised that they picked him so high, but I’m sure that Washington would have picked him if he was still there.He does look really good in all the clips that I saw of him, and he does have the right kind of play to play in the type of offens the vikings have.HE WAS the most accurate QB at the combines and proved that he was very quick, which he will need to be considering the type of offensive line that the vikings have.I just would of liked to see them pick a top CB or an offensive lineman, something that we really need, but this could turn out to be a great pick, as long as he don’t get hurt.
- By Puner on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyQuite a reach for Ponder. would have loved to see Nick Fairly, Prince Amukamara, Robert Quinn or Mike Pouncey. Any one of those players would have fulfilled a need and improved the team. Ponder doesn’t. However, he does put the vikings closer to Andrew Luck next season!
- By john g on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywe need dfense,use joe web, we can get higher draft pick next year for the BRAINS in the front office (to blow) PACKERS are looking better all the time
we want bud grant back!
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyit s funny how ponder is a what if we coulda gotten a beastly player wit the 12th pick whaat if is not good enuff
- By NDVikesFan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWell, I am not going to freak about our #1 pick, but it is definietly surprising to say the least. I am not going to knock it until I see it, and for you band wagoners, then go some place else, there is always the Denver Donkeys, or the Fudge Packers, but I’m still going to support this team, and sit back and watch things play out….
- By achilles on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI can’t say I wasn’t shocked when they didn’t trade down or take the best on the board, but I’m not gonna be quick to bash my team. I will give Ponder the chance to prove himself. I have a feeling he will be great, but not this year. GO VIKES!!!
- By shaefer on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyu guys r comming of stupid. im pretty sure the vikings countless scouts know more then you FANS do. theres obviously a reason we picked him and just because he wasn’t suppose to go so high doesnt mean he wasnt talented enough. if uve been a fan for so long and r saying goodbye ur pathetic. dont call urself a fan. stop being arragont. he was picked for a reason.
- By hfor22 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyFor those of you throwing a fit about the selection of Ponder; you need to relax. The kid is smarter than any QB in the draft, his arm strength is far and away better than what he is getting credit for (see UF game this year), and he is tough as nails. He played in a complex, pro-style offense so he is NFL ready. He will win the vikings a lot of games.
- By josh on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWow unreal, did’nt think anyone would see what i have seen, this guy is a machine, he averages 250-300 yards a game and had 20 td and only 8 picks last year comming off an injury, prior to that he was top of all the charts, and an amaizing QB, he was the best QB florida ever had, and is not a quitter, he was hert in 2010 from making a tackel. have hope boys, dicitions made, and i have to believe after what i know about this kid and Rick S., this was a steal steal, Congrats to the Vikings. You finally have your QB.
- By Jeremy Barragan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWorst pick in the draft: Vikings.
- By Justin F on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIt’s very clear people don’t understand the future that the Vikings face. GB started developing Aaron Rogers 6 years ago and it took them, what 3 years to do it? The Lions have been developing Stafford for several years and he’s showing great improvement. Can’t say anything about the Bears as they just got Cutler in the 2010 offseason.My point is that the Vikings WILL develop Ponder over a course of time and try tio mold him and Webb into franchise QBs. Most of you people here are simply ignoring the bigger picture here and rushing into premature judgment. Give them the time to help this kid become a good QB. STOP ACTING LIKE 15 YEAR OLDS.
- By RMJ on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPONDER SUCKS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. HE IS WORTH A THIRD ROUND PICK IN ANY ANY NORMAL DRAFT. HAVE TO SAY THE VIKINGS REALLY KNOW HOW TO FAIL AT QB. INSTEAD OF DRAFTING THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE(MALLETT) THE GET THE 7TH, HONESTLY GET MALLETT AND HAVE A COMPETITION. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A DREAM
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyandrew luckk with adrian peterson yeaa boi my faith
- By Nick on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMaybe we should give the guy a chance before throwing him under the bus before he even puts on a jersey.
- By fran on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywhat do you think about this?:
whait! pounder the future or maybe is a move to take kolb
- By rayj0612 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhen will this team get a real GM and fire Spielman? He has been a failure wherever he has been…how could you not see this? All of that defensive talent on the board, and you pick this guy versus waiting for round 2 (because I guarantee he would have been available). Here is tomorrows headline: Vikings fans pondering about Ponder pick.
- By Earl on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWho among us thought that the Vikes were going somewhere in 2011. So you take a chance on a QB first round pick, so what!!? Our offensive line is old, while our defense is not quite beyond their peak. If we don’t go for a QB, then we should have improved the O line. But the fact is we should have brought along a QB last year. The Favre/Moss/Childress fiasco cost us a year when we could have been developing a QB. We have to face facts, our window to the Super Bowl closed two years ago. We must rebuild, now. Hope they pick some O linemen in the remaining draft.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyKOLB suckkss too we need improvement
- By Jay on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPlease take mallett tomorrow please
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyi hate how ppl are comparing the talent on the board to pounder ppl dnt get da pointt
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWITH THE 12th Pick of the 2011 NFL draft the MN Vikings selct from the LAzy Boy U ….. Shawn
- By josh on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyP.S.Our Vikings, Skol VikingsViking fan for life, through good and bad.
- By Tom on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyOh my god what ever happened to picking the best player in the draft what ever the position is, then maybe trading it for what ever you need. why is it so hard for the Viking to draft a good players. The Wilf family should fire you fu-ken idots what a waited fu-ken pick I would like to know what you were thinking. I certainly hope you plan on getting a veteran QB.
- By nofalcon28 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNot the worst pick. Ponder best fits our scheme, he would not have made it to the 2nd round. We should have traded down for him. Would not have been my first pick but not bad at all.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyur getting da same with joe webb and ponder woow
- By joshK on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywtfff
- By Bryan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI like the pick. Ponder was the highest rated QB left when we picked. And no, he wouldn’t have been available at 43 in the 2nd round. He played in a west coast offense-pro style offense and was the MVP at the Senior Bowl.
- By NovaScotiaVike on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBleedpurple, you are spot-on. What is so special about Kolb?
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThe staff who is responsible for picking Ponder at #12 have to ask themselves, “Are we smarter than everyone else?”.If so, then pick ponder. If not then you should have picked one of the good defensive players that were available. I am sure you could have had Ponder in the second round.
Within 2 years we will know if they were right.
- By I like to overpay for stuff on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplySure he may be a good QB but why take him so early??! He will be in the 5yr, $20 million range based on draft order. He was projected as a mid 2nd rounder! This was a good pick up but terrible draft management….
- By JimRad on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyGoodnight.
- By TW VIKE on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyBring back FAVRE
- By Dan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyIve been a Vikings fan for 30 yrs and this tops the cake. i actually hope they move to LA. Terrible pick in so many ways. Ridiculous
- By Parody on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWhat ever happened to Best Player Available?There were guys on the board listed as 4th, 6th and 7th in the whole draft, and we take a guy listed as the 40th! This kid better become a diamond in the rough REALLY fast…I still can’t believe the front office let this decision get made…
- By Duane on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyMaybe the Vikes needed someone in the front office to aid spielman out with the finances.
- By shibby on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyonly time will tell, i really wanted locker but ponder is the man now
- By Gator on Apr 28, 2011 | Replythose TV people arn’t allways right lok what happened to the raiders with there #1 pick and every body said great pick This kid can play and play well just wait and see what happens rember Adrian was a gamble and look who eating crow now have trust we don’t see what what our experts see
- By purplehorn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyYou people amaze me. Everybody knows we need a QB. Ponder wasn’t going to be around by our second round. There is still lots of good players out there for our other needs. Draft day is a smorgasbord, everyone looks good in the first round. We only get one pick though. Ponder isn’t bad until he is in the league five years like TJ and washes out. Give him the playing time before you bury him.
- By josh on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyAnd all you baby’s who want to complain about the pick we made, you realy have no clue, so shhhhhhh and watch. Or go be another teams fan. All we want is support and cheers..Go MN Vikings, bring us to the promise land……………………………….SKOL VIKINGS.
- By bleedpurple on Apr 28, 2011 | Replynovavike thanks but we just gotta suffer another year it just suckss cuz we can still have a chance this year but this pick put us out cuz we can still be a dominant defense wit a good draft pick but thats all gonee
- By viking1 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder was the 4th best qb on the draft boards.
- By morgan on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder will bejust fine for the Vikings!!!!
- By joshK on Apr 28, 2011 | Replyvikes want to move to LA and take Luck next year!! go vikes bad draft again
- By purplerainman on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyThere is no way the Vikes are going to bring a veteran QB in here. This guy or Joey Webb will be the future of the Vikes – like it or not. If the Vikings were going to bring in a veteran QB they would have done some patch work on their O-Line or their secondary on this pick. This is the guy. I can honestly say I trust Musgrave’s judgement – he’s one of the best. Ponder is a sharp kid and he can spin it. I truly wonder if Jacksonville is any happier with their pick at 10. In Ponder’s defense, had he had some help at Florida State and not had to deal with the Bowden slide he very well could have been prime-time. I don’t the the Chad Pennington comment Kiper made is accurate. He reminds me more of a Flacco type QB.
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWITH THE 12th Pick of the 2011 NFL draft the MN Vikings selct from the University of WTF Chri’stian ” I ” Ponder the decision
- By Jason K on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m gonna laugh at all the extreme critics and ready to jump ship when Musgrave turns into something great. I’m just saying I hope this shocks many people.
- By Shawn on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyStill 6 rounds to get Mallet and Stanzi
- By Lao on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyWe all already knew this was coming. Earlier this week the Vikings released an article on their website which is still on titled “Vikings Ponder Risk-Reward Of Drafting A QB”
- By Ean on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think ponder has talent but if we get mcnabb ponder lears from him and musgrave will develope another outstanding qb!!!
- By bauman5 on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder gives them a shot at Andrew Luck next year! Go Vikings!!!!
- By DaVikings on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI think i’m about to be sick!
- By Nicholas on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI’m looking at some film on Ponder now. He throws an awesome spiral! It looks like he is patient, and has good decision makeing, too.
I’m keeping an open mind.
- By Frederick Jones on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyNOVA!!!Welcome back friend. C. Ponder may turn out to be a steal, just like A.D. was a few years ago.
- By kevin on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyPonder This! 0-16 this season. Only think that could make sense if they have a deal with Washington, get Kerrigan and get McNabb and then go for Luck next season, ha.
- By Parody on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyI hope it shocks many people too. I REALLY hope that I am shocked beyond belief because this guy was listed as the 6th or 7th QB in the draft, potentially a 3rd rounder and we pull the trigger when there were guys who could have completely made us forget about Pat Williams or Ray Edwards.
- By Frederick Jones on Apr 28, 2011 | ReplyLots of good things about C. Ponder.
- By bahala na on Apr 28, 2011 | Replywe havent won a super bowl YET all we can go is UP !!!!!